Friday, November 14, 2014

"Elderes, vamos a invitarles a un kiss" "Un qué!?"

Well here we are again... Email time! I seriously feel like I just emailed yesterday... as usual. This week was pretty good!

* Something I realized about the difference between food in the US and here: They don’t use sauces at all here. They use straight up salsa for EVERYTHING. Like literally the word sauce translates to "salsa" here because their sauce is salsa... And it’s always super spicy. The other day I ate a jabañero chili pepper and another day this week I ate this thing that was the spiciest thing I’ve ever eaten. My eyes were watering and nose was running and I was coughing but I ate all of it because the family doesn’t have much to share so I would have felt bad. I was so proud of myself. Also, they have a food here called Chincharon. I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of it but it is literally pig skin. It’s either cooked so it is super soft and mushy or it’s fried so it’s like the texture of Cheetos. It’s probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever eaten in my life. For La Comida the other day we had straight up chincharon and rice. I wanted to die. I was literally gagging as I was trying to eat it. And I somehow finished all of it. I think I’m pretty much invincible at this point.

* You all know how much I love the sky and Thursday night was the prettiest sky I think I’ve ever seen in my life. The sunset was amazing and I wish I could have taken a picture but my camera sucks at capturing that stuff. Then the moon was HUGE and orange and I don’t know if you saw it in the US but yeah I was basically walking backwards cause I couldn’t stop staring at it, it was so pretty! Then we saw 2 huge tarantulas in the road so that was pretty freaky...(I don`t know why I added that part but yeah apparently there are tarantulas here.)

* We’ve been hearing rumors from credible sources of 2 super cool things that might be happening in our mission so in the next few weeks I might be super happy about some things(:(:(:(:

* On Saturday we almost got attacked by a huge dog and I think I almost had a heart attack. On Friday we looked for the house of a reference we got from another missionary and when we found it there was a huge scary dog chained up by the front door that was barking and snarling at us.  We were too scared to knock so we threw rocks at their window and nobody was home. So we went back on Saturday and saw that the dog was laying down so we thought it was sleeping and chained up. As we got closer it saw us and stood up and started barking super scarily at us and running towards us and we realized the chain had broken or something. I started bookin it because I seriously thought I was going to die but Hermana Lopez said not to run so we inched away quietly then it stopped running and sat and watched us as we turned the corner.  We got away from there so fast ahh my "fight or flight" instinct was crazy. Haha. I don’t think we’ll be looking for that house again any time soon...

* Today when we were grocery shopping they were blasting a bunch of Coldplay songs like Yellow, Clocks, etc. the whole time and I got all trunky because they were all cute songs and obviously the love life in the mission is pretty rough haha. They also played a bunch of other music from the US that I love so that was definitely a treat.

* This week I learned that you should never give up on investigators. One of our investigators, Sandra, has a baptismal date for November 21st (this baptism is my birthday celebration for you, Dad (; ) and she is seriously golden. She is progressing so much and is awesome. About a little over a month ago we were about to leave her because she had been being taught by missionaries for 8 months and still wasn’t progressing. I had only met her like twice. We went to have the appointment with her to tell her we were going to leave her and something  had changed. She told us she really wanted to progress and we set a baptismal date with her. Since then she has been trying so hard and has been going to church and keeping all her commitments and progressing so much and we are so proud of her and so happy. She told us that she forgets about her problems and worries about life when we teach her and it made me realize that this really is a gospel and message of peace and I’m so happy to be able to share it with people. But yeah, if you are a missionary or future missionary and reading this: Never give up on your investigators, at least not without a fight! I’m so glad we didn’t end up leaving her because she is seriously a golden investigator and I’m so excited for her baptism next Friday. (:

I love being a missionary and teaching people about the truth and light of the gospel. It makes me so happy to see the change and progression in the lives of our investigators and I know that I’m doing the best thing I could possibly be doing right now. I love you all so much and pray for your well-being every day! I hope you enjoy my emails, I’ll try to spice them up somehow if they’re boring (:

Have a fantastic week everyone!

Con muchísimo amor,

Hermana Eyring



Hermana Lopez and I with our super guapa investigator Marta at church yesterday!


Cheesy but sending kisses your way(:


Super cute tan lines on my super cute feet... Results of missionary life

No comments:

Post a Comment